The Madison United Methodist Church, as it is known today, was organized in 1828. A deed was issued in 1837 to the "Trustees of the Methodist Church in U.S. of America" by Rowland and Elizabeth Gooch and was recorded in 1838. The church was located at the crossroad of the present Old Madison Pike and Hughes Road intersection, also known as Riddle's Corner and the "Old Triana Road." The church was one of five churches on the circuit and remained on the circuit until 1913 when it became a full pastorate under Rev. J. Duncan Hunter, who later became District Superintendent. The church was originally known as "The Methodist Episcopal Church, South".
The present site was purchased in 1873, and the church was rolled on logs to the present location. At that time, it was a one-room frame building.
In 1947, under the leadership of Rev. Thelmer Vaughn, the building was brick veneered, and the first education units were built, including the kitchen, dining room, pastor's study, and Memorial Windows. This was completed April, 1948. Rev. S. Allen Balch, a native of Madison, held the official opening. The Dedication Service was held on Sunday, September 2, 1951, with Bishop Clare Purcell, who served the circuit from 1910-1913, leading the service.
In 1987, under the leadership of Rev. Joe Estes, the vestibule was remodeled, including a new floor, doors, and steps. On the north side, a ramp was installed where the old entrance was located.
The Christian Life Center was started under the leadership of Rev. Bobby Ray Halbrooks, and completed during the tenure of Rev. Larry Wright in 2006. The CLC added a large multi-purpose room with a stage, classrooms, and rooms for music and children's ministries.
A complete renovation of the historic sanctuary was completed in 2008, which included the installation of a new foundation to replace the one installed in the 1800s, as well as new lighting, sound, and flooring.
About 60 pastors have served Madison United Methodist Church from Alexander Little Page Green in 1828, to our present pastor, Rev. Travis Wilson who joined the church in June, 2014.
The following statement was make by one of the pastors to the Quarterly Conference: "No better people can be found anywhere than those of the Madison United Methodist Church" ~ And this still applies today.